Thursday, October 5, 2017

Tattoos of the Dead



Victims of time and circumstance.  I always liked that line.  T.C. Boyle.  Surely he stole it, though.  Borrowed, I mean.  Uncredited still, if he did.  It is one of the lines I consider putting on my headstone.  If I have one, that is.  Is it too soon to say something disparaging about the news coverage of the terrible tragedy?  Sure.

But I don't know.  About what to put on my tombstone, I mean.  It seems irrevocable, like a tattoo.  I have never gotten a tattoo.  I can't even settle on a paint color for the wall.

"Does that yellow seem to have green in it?  I don't know.  It looks too green to me."

My father had a WWII tattoo.  It was his first wife's name in a heart.  Trixie.  Yup.  I shit you not.  I don't think my mother cared for that much.  He tried to sandpaper it off, I think.  It was so blurred in my childhood that you couldn't really read it.  I never met her, of course, but from what I heard, she was something of a free spirit.  Names may be destiny.

Perhaps I'll never settle on a saying or a tombstone.  They are the tattoos of the dead.

2 comments:

  1. very subtle publication. I really like this allusive tone and this rather dark humour which reminds me a little of the texts of this Franco-Romanian writer of the 20th century E. M.. Cioran. Funny and pessimistic. I think you'd appreciate it very much. But maybe you know him. Do you know the fable of pessimism and optimism? the pessimist says "we're in trouble it can't be worse" the optimist answers " but yes, it is possible..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Cheer up," they said. "It could be worse."

      So I cheered up, and they were right!

      Delete