Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The Dangers of Spring



What is spring like?  The morning began wet and cool, but soon the skies cleared to a robin's egg blue.  The birds are at the feeders, and the sprouts have been nurtured by the rain.  It is truly spring here.

How will I shed winter?  This is a more auspicious day for me than New Year.  I make my resolutions now.  More water.  Much more water.  Less alcohol.  At least a little less.  Less meat.  More grains and vegetables.

And maybe photography.  I have ideas.  If I can turn them into pictures. . . well, we'll see.

Trump's troubles don't keep the democrats from self-destruction.  As Howard Cosell used to say, they are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  They are fools.

Check your horoscope.  You do not want to take any chances today.


Madame Sosostris, famous clairvoyante,
Had a bad cold, nevertheless
Is known to be the wisest woman in Europe,
With a wicked pack of cards. Here, said she,
Is your card, the drowned Phoenician Sailor,
(Those are pearls that were his eyes. Look!)
Here is Belladonna, the Lady of the Rocks,
The lady of situations.
Here is the man with three staves, and here the Wheel,
And here is the one-eyed merchant, and this card,
Which is blank, is something he carries on his back,
Which I am forbidden to see. I do not find
The Hanged Man. Fear death by water.
I see crowds of people, walking round in a ring.
Thank you. If you see dear Mrs. Equitone,
Tell her I bring the horoscope myself:
One must be so careful these days.


  Remember why April is the cruelest month.  We'll need the clairvoyante to get through these troubling days as the waters begin to flow, the sap to rise.  Beware the dangers of Spring.  

3 comments:

  1. "Oh keep the Dog far hence..." ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. My T's most favoritist poem ever.

    My son has just sent a link to an article - another favorite poet - Mr. Ferlinghetti is going to be 100 on March 24. I am going to read something from Coney Island of the Mind. I'll leave it here. It reminds me so much of him. I've had some bad days. Spring and all. We worked hard on his cottage garden - and now someone else lives there and the flowers feel like they should belong to me - and the yard and the veggie garden.

    But - no longer. And I'm trying to find my way forward. The poor fellows who live in the old neighborhood are putting up with me - lovely as they are. We smoke joints on their porches now. And hope for warm sun and talk of our memories. They let me get weepy - and try to make me feel better. I fear one or two might want to take Tom's place truth be told - but they are good old boys and I love them.


    The pennycandystore beyond the El
    is where I first
    fell in love
    with unreality
    Jellybeans glowed in the semi-gloom
    of that september afternoon
    A cat upon the counter moved among
    the licorice sticks
    and tootsie rolls
    and Oh Boy Gum

    Outside the leaves were falling as they died

    A wind had blown away the sun

    A girl ran in
    Her hair was rainy
    Her breasts were breathless in the little room

    Outside the leaves were falling
    and they cried
    Too soon! too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, April is the cruelest month, mixing memory and desire. Stiff upper lip, old girls. We all must suffer. . . memory and desire.

    ReplyDelete