Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Twice the Money



I was trying to test out a flash with the Monochrome and the wide angle lens.  I couldn't get it it fire, but I found this image to have that certain je ne sais quois.  That's French for "I don't know what."  People use it to mean "flair," I believe.  But it is just admitting a certain stupidity about a thing.  I really believe the photo has that quality.  I don't know what.

But I got the flash to work with the camera now and I am a pain in the ass with it.  You'll see some examples in the near future.  I am flashing everything and everyone.  I'm trying to make some Mark Cohen--style photos.  They are not turning out that way which is probably good.  They have my own mark and smell to them.  First you copy, then. . . je ne sais quois.  

I like the phrase as much as esprit de corps and Viva Las Vegas.  

Last night was the full moon, I hear.  Couldn't tell it here.  Rain.  Still, the weird dreams and strange sleep evidenced it.

Now for the factory.  Only a week before S.F.  I got some good advice for the trip.  Pack half the clothes and take twice the money.

Yup.

3 comments:

  1. That is the definition of a Je-ne-sais-quoi:
    Something that cannot be defined but whose existence is intuitively apprehended: This picture has a touching "Je-ne-sais-quoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! My college French is very fragile.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and about "flair" (I mean the English word) since French uses the same word with another meaning, British rugby commentators often referred at one time to the "French flair" which defines a way of playing the game that may seem totally irrational, unexpected, unpredictable, bold and disconcerting. And when we say of someone "il a du flair" in French, it means he's able to predict things... :-)

    ReplyDelete