Friday, December 6, 2019

Perhaps


(1978)

Sitting in a hipster coffee shop.  It is crowded in the late afternoon, everyone on computers working on something.  I'm a freak.  Like them.  Why would we come here to work on something rather than do it from the comfort at our own homes?  The coffee?  In my case, I had to get out of the house.  When I am not working, I am housebound, it seems.  A houseboy, maybe.  I have no rhythm, no schedule.  I have not transitioned from factory supervisor to working artist yet.  Ha!  That is a joke.  When I had to work every day, I could think clearly about what I would do when I wasn't working.  I forget what I thought, now.  Nothing is clear.  There are always chains that bind.

I just talked to my secretary.  They did the last interview for my replacement today.  The decision will be made in a few days.  The last nail in the coffin.  People are sad which is nice.  Things will not be the same when I leave, they say, and they are right.  I've never stayed within the boundaries.  When I enter a room, there is an expectation.  I have a certain grin, a tell, I guess.  My friend C.C. always said that they talked about thinking outside the box, but they spent all their time trying to put him back into one.  Then. . . someone would come along and turn the crank and the little Jack in the Box song would play, and sooner or later. . . .

He's been gone from the factory for awhile.  Every day it grows more corporate.  Sooner or later, they would overwhelm me and kill me, I'm sure.  I'm sad for those I leave, though.  Very.

I've had about all I can take of the hipster coffee bar now.  I feel the fool for being here.  Somewhat.  Not so much, maybe.  No more than anywhere else, perhaps.

Perhaps.

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder what was your job in this factory ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. One of my favorite sequences in Albee’s “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf” is the snapdragon scene wherein George taunts Nick with casuistical reasoning about his pathetic attempt to sleep with George’s wife Martha. The conclusion, is “Well, either you’re the Stud or the Houseboy, which is it?”

    The scene of mocking Nick as the Houseboy concludes with my favorite lines from the play:

    “MARTHA: Truth and illusion; George, you don’t know the difference.

    GEORGE: No, but we must carry on as though we did.

    MARTHA: Amen.”

    And yes, the corporate fucks would kill you sooner or later. I still have night sweat PTSD from my time on the assembly lines from time to time. Trumpism Triumphant. If the fascists don’t kill you outright, the liberals will bleed you out slowly with a million paper cuts.

    I am glad you are making it out over the barbed wire fence reasonably intact.

    Selah.

    ReplyDelete