Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Warning: Either Skip This or Read Quickly

 


Narcotic overdoses have gone up.  Do you know why?  More people are using them.  Do you know why?  Well, there's the rub, isn't it?  When does one make the decision to take up a top shelf drug?  Those of you who like to smoke a little weed or drink a bit too much might be able to shed some light on the issue.  Why do you do it?  You know it is harmful.  You may focus on the "positive" side of the drug as in "studies show" that two glasses of wine a day can have benefits or that smoking marijuana can decrease interocular pressure, etc.  But that's cherry picking, and you know it.  So why?  Why are some so hellbent to alter life's experience?  

O.K.  I had two scotches last night.  Jesus, they were good. There is something magical about it.  I broke a string of drinkless days--and I don't care.  I am not "on the wagon."  I am simply trying to look something like I once did when I wore regular pants instead of pajamas.  It is working ever so slowly.  My face isn't as puffy in the mornings and the under eye baggage is diminished.  We all know the deal.  

Still there are times when you just need to take the edge off, as they say, to round out those sharp corners, to make the world a little softer.

So. . . we slouch toward the answer to why people do narcotics.  But hold on!  The original question was why have overdoses and deaths increased, and the partial answer is that more people are using them.  But that isn't the full nor the real answer.  The real answer is. . . BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE BUYING.  

Not so many people decide to overdose.  It is an accident.  Sure, some, and that's o.k. with me.  I try to keep a stock of gentle killers for the time I decide to check out.  I'm not the shoot myself in the brainpan or hang myself by the neck or the jump off a high building kind of guy.  I'll go the Marilyn Monroe way, thank you.  But most people who overdose do so because of the uncertain purity of street drugs.  Every time the drug passes hands in a commercial deal, it gets stepped on.  You can never know for sure the purity of the powder in that dime bag.  

I had a girlfriend for a long time who used to say if people were stupid enough to overdose, we should let them.  They are doing no one any good, anyway.  

"Really?" I'd say.  "Lenny Bruce?  Are you talking about Lenny Bruce?"  

I was only kidding, though.  Poor Lenny.  But if people are willfully stupid enough to take too many drugs. . . . 

The biggest problem, as I see it, is the crime that surrounds those addicted to illegal drugs.  The habit is expensive and the money has to come from somewhere.  Drugs aren't the problem.  Crime is.  I hate thieves. There are two things you can never protect yourself from--thieves and liars.  I.E. Donald Trump. 

I don't know why I wrote any of that.  But I have a fixit man coming in a few minutes and don't have time to delete it and write something else, so this will stand.  Sorry.  Sometimes it just happens.  

2 comments:



  1. I wish I was in Vauvenargues.

    Tucked in a little apartment with the Sainte-Victorie Mountains pasted on my window for a view. Or even just Aix anywhere. Or in Paris. I watched a few movies lately - bad move.

    I remember driving there. Leaving our apartment in Aix and driving through the mountains and all the little villages.

    There is a tiny little restaurant, there on the main street in Vauvenargues.

    We sat outside and drank wine in the spring sunshine.

    Then I wandered with my blanket and book and sprawled on the grass close to Picasso's house. There was a white horse grazing nearby. I drew a picture in my journal.

    My niece & my friend Alice, allowed me an hour to just hang out on the grass looking up at Picasso's house.

    There isn't anything "to do" there. But because it wasn't too long a ride from our home base and Picasso had lived there - they gave me the day.

    I need to have my Dora Marr print framed. The one I was given by the client who worked on Picasso's estate. It is from a book of drawings Picasso authorized.

    Alas. The mind wanders.

    I know too many people - children of people - who have died from opioid addiction. I have perhaps a little softer view than "we should let them."

    There is a documentary about Cape Cod Heroin use. It is quite sad. One of the beautiful young women who od'd was the granddaughter of a very good client of mine. She left behind a couple of children.

    She got addicted to heroin after getting addicted to pain pills after suffering a soccer injury in high school, I believe. Another acquaintance lost a child who got addicted to pain pills his oral surgeon prescribed for wisdom teeth removal.

    One of my neighbors child died at 25 - depression got the best of him.

    Thankfully, most all doctors treating young people - and everyone - rarely prescribe the oxy unless it is absolutely needed.

    Big Pharma.

    Kim, one of the misfits from the Lane, was a straight up heroin user, he survived and methadone got him over the hump. He was a founder of an NA group on Nantucket that still meets.

    My hairdressers Baby Daddy was a dope user. He is the sweetest most kind, hard working fellow now. Thankfully he overcame his addiction.



    You shouldn't apologize for writing.

    Save the "Sorries" for the most important things in life. That's what I think, anyway.






    ReplyDelete


  2. Oh. For those folks that read here and don't know/understand that heroin trail -- the kids used to get prescribed a big dose of the oxy. Get addicted. They say 30 days and you are hooked. But the Oxy cost like $30 or more per pill on the street. A bag of dope - a lot less. And yes, they didn't know what they were getting or rather - they didn't care and so many die - the fentanyl.

    I forgot one of the kids that used to do my cleanouts was an addict - his best friend - who also sometimes worked for me - died in Nick's arms.

    It's a disease of great proportion. HBO did the documentary.

    https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/heroin-cape-cod-usa

    Okies. Those are my Drug Diaries.

    Oh well. Maybe not.

    I smoke weed cause .... I don't drink scotch?

    :)

    ReplyDelete