Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas

 

Accidentally Wes Anderson

Oy. Cold house, hot coffee, and a hangover. The perfect Christmas morning?  I made a mistake and ate some of that gummy candy someone sent to me.  That shit never hits you when it should, so I was tripping my brains out when I was brought out of a very deep sleep by a banging noise.  I thought it was outside, just some holiday hooligans or whatever.  I thought it would stop.  

It didn't. 

Coming a little bit more to consciousness, I realized that the noise was coming from the house.  It sounded like a raccoon was in the attic.  Jesus.  How in the hell would a raccoon get in up there?  

The intermittent banging would begin again after I fell back into my deep narcotic sleep.  

WTF?  I got out of bed on shaky legs, got a flashlight, and climbed my very dangerous pulldown stairs ten feet to the attic.  I flashed the light around in the dark expecting to see a badger or a wolverine.  I turned on the attic light and looked around.  No peering eyes, no low growls or hissing noises.  I left the light on.  Maybe that would keep the little fucker quiet.  Getting back down the stairs was no laughing matter.

Sometime later, I was awakened again.  And again.  It wasn't until much later I realized that the banging was coming from the awning over the outside bedroom door.  There was a storm outside.  The wind was really howling.  

I fell out of bed late, of course, blind to the day, stumbling to hit the coffee button.  Christmas Day. 

A white van pulled up yesterday and delivered a present.  What could this be, I wondered?  Who would be sending me anything?  I took it inside and opened it up, and with great anticipation unwrapped. . . my new aqualung!  Yay!  Just in time for Christmas!  

I put it on and snapped a selfie in the mirror.  "This one's for the Ladies!"

My mother and I exchanged presents last night.  I gave her a new iMac and told her I would set it up today.  Jesus.  I'm not sure I'm functioning that well.  It is not setting it up that is the problem, but I must mirror her old iMac onto the new one.  My hands are shaking, my vision is blurry.  I am not looking forward to concentrating.  

I must go over soon.  We are having Christmas dinner outside.  Fine.  It is forty degrees. May be fifty by the time we eat.  Coldest Christmas here on record, I think I heard.  Great.  Just fucking great.  

My mother told all the neighbors we were serving champagne again, so I had to make a last minute liquor store run to buy more.  I got myself a nice bottle of scotch while I was there.  Today, however, I am ready to quit drinking.  

Oh. . . when I stumbled into the daylight of the kitchen, the cat was at the door.  WTF?  I guess she wasn't eaten after all.  

And so. . . here's hoping for a better year, and a Merry Christmas to one and all.  

2 comments:





  1. “Christmas Card to Grace Hartigan”

    There’s no holly, but there is
    the glass and granite towers
    and the white stone lions
    and the pale violet clouds. And
    the great tree of balls in
    Rockefeller Plaza is public.

    Christmas is green and general
    like all great works of the
    imagination, swelling from minute
    private sentiments in the desert,
    a wreath around our intimacy
    like children’s voices in a park.

    For red there is our blood
    which, like your smile, must be
    protected from spilling into
    generality by secret meanings,
    the lipstick of life hidden
    in a handbag against violations.

    Christmas is the time of cold air
    and loud parties and big expense,
    but in our hearts flames flicker
    answeringly, as on old-fashioned
    trees. I would rather the house
    burn down than our flames go out.

    Mr. Frank O'Hara


    Merry Christmas, C.S.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t that such a good evocation of NYC at christmas. I was looking at pictures from my 2018 NYC Christmas trip.
    Also. Too.

    I love Mr. O’Hara. I might read him all day. What a delicate small man - so chock Full.

    I miss Living.

    Okies. 👋

    ReplyDelete