Thursday, January 21, 2021

Kumbaya

 


Still sick, but better.  It has been a week.  I read an article this morning in the Times, though, about all the long-term health effects Covid patients are having.  It both scared and depressed me.  The problems are innumerable.  And, it seems, no matter how much people recover nor for how long, shit can come back suddenly.  This is not good stuff to feed to a genetic worrier.  

I go for a Covid RNA test this morning.  Can't count on the accuracy of the test, of course.  Not much you can count on these days but doom and gloom.  

Oh, but I forgot.  The Lizard People have taken over now.  That is what QAnon says.  I think I should  subscribe to QAnon.  I need to live in a world without evidence, a world where fact is contradicted by feeling.  Have you seen them?  There has never been a more confident people.  Nothing they have predicted would happen has come to fruition, but that doesn't faze them.  Every lie feeds a bigger lie.  There has never been a science fiction movie made that could match them.  Nobody would ever have thought to make up such an absurd story.  And yet. . . they multiply like mushrooms in the night.  

On the other side, as we saw yesterday, we have the People of Kumbaya.  I don't want to insult anyone who is reading here who might have been moved to tears by yesterday's inauguration.  I don't want to. . . but I might.  I am on some group texts, and yesterday my phone was blowing up.  OMGs were flying.  Such great things were happening that even in my illness, I had to turn it on.  Pomp and Ceremony are not my thing, and I can't stand to watch an entire minute of TVs most popular shows.  Getting my panties wet over Lady Gaga singing the National Anthem and the rest of the "America's Got Talent" crew of popular entertainers performing ain't happening.  

That isn't to say I did not breathe a huge sigh of relief.  But I'm afraid Trump is like Covid.  There are going to be many long-hauler effects from that disease.  He has shed his viral conspiracies, his hate and willful ignorance and stupidity, all over the country.  We have not yet found a vaccine for it, and as we know, many people would not take it if it were available.  Trump and Covid--the little nightmares that could.  

So yea.  But still, you know. . . a platitude is a platitude, and though they are tasty little candies now, we know they will not sustain us.  Rather, we should know.  Biden's troubles begin today. His honeymoon is over.  Republicans like Cruz and Hawley are doubling down.  Why?  Look to the people they represent.  They're still talking with chaw in their cheeks.  H'aint nothin' changed down there.  And the money that was backing Trump?  That Koch and Company money is going somewhere, and it ain't to the Biden camp.  

Meanwhile what we have been calling "liberals" are wanting what they were promised.  Every one of those fractional members wants a big piece of the pie.  What happens when you can't pony up?  

Well. . . I guess you can always give 'em the old, "Look, people, we've got to pull together" speech.  

And of course there is always "Kumbaya."  

4 comments:

  1. After four years of “The Emperor Has No Clothes,” Americans have just changed imaginary wardrobes. Amanda Gorman cannot write poetry for shit. What passes for literature is a string of cliched platitudes with the occasional sophomoric wordplay. No one is going to say that though. I do not care how skilled or careful the literary criticism is, there is not going to be one soul brave enough to swim through the flood of goofy liberal tears to shout: “The Emperor Has No Clothes.”

    I just finished a massive project for which I was paid very well, but it kept me from pestering you, Good luck to you.

    Very bad luck about the virus and I am sorry to hear it. I am starting a fourteen day quarantine because the butcher who botched by oral surgery tested positive for the plague. I tested negative with the antigen test but am still supposed to quarantine for the next fourteen days.

    Such it is in the merry old land of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I was afraid to mention it. She certainly didn't puzzle anyone with her complexity or wit. She is certainly on her way to following in Rod McKuen's footsteps, our most understood poet.

      Delete


  2. Holy Chaws.

    It's a regular World Wide Web Party here at the Cafe tonight. Where's Al Gore?

    Tough crowd tho. Buncha jaded old white dudes. Seems to be a problem for the country.

    Hey! Sorry you are sick. You something like a dog? Goes into the corner and doesn't wanna be bothered with help and washcloths on your forehead - ice chips held to your lips and homemade chicken soup? Prolly you are.

    I'll keep it straight then: Get Well Soon.

    Man that's boring. But certainly Utilitarian and Not Rod McKuen-like.

    Harrrrumpf.

    Well. Let's see. I've become the asshole on my Jersey Girl Thread. I couldn't help it. I've been so silent and good.

    The Trumpettes of the group never once said a bad word about "Staff of Auschwitz" guy (half our gang are Jews) or their beloved Po Po getting stabbed with Murican Flags - zippo. Nutting. Biz as Usual.

    Today - I see something about Antifa on the thread - by one of them who now believe the Capitol insurrection was really Antifa members.

    I was in a pissy mood and dropped a meme of a Karen at the Therapist's office and the Therapist asking "So antifa is in the room, now Karen?"

    I'm pretty anti-fascist. Cause well, I think fascism is bad. The Left is a wide swath of people allied over general causes with certainly different preferred ends and means. I disagree with certain tactics - and groupthink.

    But Democrats aren't off the hook - simply "the Good Guys." They do bad things too. To immigrants, average people, the environment. Prop up some broken down law enforcement ideas.

    A Far Left coalition is/can be a good reminder of what is/maybe possible - a mobilizer to generate solidarity against all kinds of evil.

    Politics and world building is uh - messy? People are so quick to disregard alternatives to the status quo - and freak out when there is the slightest slip up.

    Some of our broken down systems are pretty damn old.

    Anyway.

    I drop the meme in the thread - of which I have not been saying much of anything and get "You are joking Lisa, right?"

    Which started me thinking about something I was talking to my son about a while ago - Poe's Law. Which started me thinking about American People. So anyway, I've decided to re-read David Foster Wallace's Essay, "E Unibus Pluram" tonight. It has been a very long time since I've read him. Post irony.

    I do know how to have the most exciting evenings, don't I? I want to tub and may - but I have one more day of reporting to do tomorrow. And I should save that activity for the weekend. There is only so much fun to go around these days.

    Q sent me the BEST Bowie music. 3 hours of it. I've been listening during tubs and at night - when I'm drifting off. I get lost in the music. It's really quite lovely.

    But his voice also makes me sad. Bowie. Not Q he hasn't called me yet. I miss him being in the world. Like I told Q - it's the way I feel when I hear John Lennon singing or even just talking. It's a true Missing feeling.

    I want to quarantine. In a yurt. Somewhere. That I decorated all cozy. With my own true love. And look at the stars. Have outdoor fires. And sunrises & sunsets. <--- that's the sloshy Libra talking. I am drinking wine. :).

    I may soon write some McKuen poems and I KNOW my own true love will like them cause they are just for him.


    Phooey on you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC and I are the only two credentialed poetry critics left. Trust us. We're doctors almost.

      Delete