Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Sunshine State

 

I'm posting these vacation photos in response to Q's privileged white boy post.  Here's my vacation.  Boogie, not boujie.  I'm a man of the people, a man in the streets.  Here, we're just taking a cigarette break and chillin' for a minute.  No spacious A-frame window view, no chi-chi rugs and a fireplace.  Keepin' it real.  

I can't vacation here in my own home state which is the nations vacation destination this time of year.  From what I understand, y'all been seeing this on your local news back home in those dark, damp, and cold places where you dwell. 



This is the first year in my life that I can't find a cheap mom and pop motel room on the beach in some tucked away part of the state.  Double and triple the price and no vacancy.  YOU PEOPLE are ruining everything.  All you want to do is party and make trouble for people and spread Covid far and wide.  And all our governor wants is the money.  

Actually, studies show. . . my home state has a lower Covid rate than 2/3s of the states and we never really closed down.  I think it is due to the weather, but it is a curiosity.  That in spite of having one of the oldest populations in the country.  One third of the deaths here were in nursing homes.  We'll see what happens after you uncouth Visigoths go home, but according to some experts who are not on CNN or MSNBC, we should be reaching herd immunity numbers by April as the number of actual Covid cases have been underreported.  

Saturday was one of those days here that you would like to bottle and keep, and so I was excited to get out into the world and feel the sun on my face.  I took a backpack with me on my walk so that I could cruise the Farmer's Market and buy some things.  The Farmer's Market is just off the Boulevard, and I can tell you that I was not the only one who thought to get out.  Both were packed.  You would not have guessed that there was a pandemic if not for the face masks.  Liberation was in the air.  My cheese guy was not at the market, though, and without that, I didn't care to buy bread, so when I got home, I showered and headed up to the little hipster market that has stalls for both good cheese and good crusty bread.  When I got there, however, parking was impossible.  The hipsters were out.  From the hipster market to the new hipster donut shop many blocks away, there was a solid ocean of cars.  I decided to circle the neighborhood a second time just in case I might get lucky, and I did.  But the market itself was packed with long lines in front of every stall.  It just wasn't worth it to me, and so I bailed on the project.  

The scene was repeated everywhere I went.  The whole town had exploded.  

I don't think I'll even attempt a trip to the beach.  

Whatever.  Staycation for a retired boy is not as exciting as it used to be, but I am in the national paradise at present, so I will find some ways to enjoy it.  

Well, that was a boring post.  Dull life, dull boy.  Now, with the time change, we'll see what other changes take place.  Perhaps I'll stop cooking elaborate dinners and just snack on tapas dishes.  Is that redundant--tapas dishes?  I need to.  I went to an REI yesterday and tried on a shirt.  Under the dressing room lights in front of the dressing room mirror, the full measure of my Falstaffian figure was on display.  My god, I thought, look what they've done to me!  

I bought a brand new pair of running shoes instead.  They were expensive, and I bought them even though I can't run.  I don't know.  I was in shock.  I thought they would help.  I even thought about not drinking, but now I think just buying the shoes will be enough.  

I will put them on now and see what happens.  I'm sure I will feel like I'm getting thinner as soon as I step out the door.  Hell, soon I may fast walk instead of waddle.  

If you EVER see me fast walking, shoot me.  I don't wish to ever be in the Museum of Crazy Walkers.  

O.K.  It is an hour later. . . no. . . an hour earlier. . . .  I'll figure it out.  But now I gotta get on them golden shoes and run.  


3 comments:



  1. I gotta tell ya. Shakskusha is the bomb. I've made it again this morning. It is a no brainer.

    Yesterday, I didn't have to eat all day - I didn't even eat dinner. I had some cheese and crackers. And the customary wine du jour. A gummy, a long soak with my date, Dr. Teal, a Korean skin care mask and bed by 9:30.

    I did watch "New York Stories." I seem to be having a "Director" thing. I had seen it waaay back when. I am in a New York State of Mind.

    "Some folks like to get away
    Take a holiday from the neighbourhood
    Hop a flight to Miami Beach
    Or to Hollywood
    But I'm taking a Greyhound
    On the Hudson River Line
    I'm in a New York state of mind"

    Man. That Woody Allen segment is strange. And I didn't know (at the first time of watching) that Sofia helped write the "Zoe" episode. Of course, I am partial to the first episode for it's music and art and way.

    I was reading in my 1975 Playboy magazine that "Nashville," will be a "breakthrough film in the way La Dolce Vita was , and resembles absolutely nothing that's gone before."

    I have an inquiry out to Q the Film Reviewer about this. I don't expect a quick answer, he's hanging with Paris Hilton in Tahoe. All their dogs get along splendidly. Or so I imagine.

    There is also an interview with F.F. Coppola in this issue.

    Things were a lot easier back then. Weren't they. For all our "progressiveness" we really are becoming more square than ever.

    Can't say this, can't say that. Can't wear heels and dresses and make-up cause you might catch the eye of the Governor and raise his blood pressure. It's all so exhausting. I'm glad I don't pay any attention to the mele.

    You are right, C.S. It IS the time for "Lonesomeville."

    Well. I've done the 2 mile dog walk.

    I must away to the little shop of concessions and add some new junque.

    I think like 10 lbs came off immediately upon your donning your new running shoes. I'm due for a new pair of Asics. What kind did you get?

    ReplyDelete


  2. I've been reading the NY Times Cancel Culture articles from August 2020.

    You know, I don't really pay much attention to stuff like that.

    I don't use Facebook or Twitter. My social media includes the Insta and this blog as well as Q's (who is now closed for public business).

    It seems social media has been a big contributor to the birth and promotion of cancel culture. And the pandemic heightened it all.

    I thought Obama's quotes were good:

    "But I do get a sense sometimes now, among certain young people — and this is accelerated by social media — there is this sense sometimes of: “The way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people.”


    "This idea of purity, and you’re never compromised, and you’re always politically woke and all that stuff, you should get over that quickly. The world is messy.


    "The world is messy."

    Yup.


    We had a snow squall yesterday. It is currently 19 degrees. So much for "Spring."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, send those questions to Q. He'll give you the full review.

    ReplyDelete