Sunday, September 22, 2024

Equilibrium


I used to call it the "Carnal Equinox" when I was more desirable.  Autumn always makes me want to cuddle.  Maybe I should get a dog.  

I celebrated the end of summer alone.  No matter.  I did what I said I would and went shopping for the harvest.  I filled the house with the last of summer flowers and drank a Michelada in the afternoon sun.  A visit with mother and an early dinner, having forgone breakfast and lunch, at the good Mexican restaurant.  


The place was full, the windows behind the bar open to outside seating, the light and air gentle and sweet.  First a skinny spicy Margarita.  They make the best in town here, and I am for some reason known to the bartenders.  

"Your friend was in here a couple days ago.  He said you were busy."

He is a redheaded Swedish Columbian Viking, he says.  His English is very bad, but he remembers Tennessee and me from serving us once.  I am flattered, of course, and enjoy the good drink.  I'm a good and friendly guy, but I am also easy to pick out of a crowd.  A different drum, etc.  

Then the promised fish tacos.  


Home to feed the cat.  I give her an end of summer can of wet food to feast upon and sit with her until she is done.  

Today I will try to feel the balance.  In balance.  It will be difficult, of course, but I will try to right the gyroscope.  An old man stumbly limp/walk trail run.  A soak and a shower.  Chicken quarters with white beans, carrots, potatoes, celery, and onions in the InstaPot for the autumnal feast with mother.  I have some sage.  Scented candles.  Maybe I'll meditate briefly.  

Red wrote me a flattering note.  I have a Tuesday invitation from the woman who kinda sorta wants me to come to happy hour with the factory kids.  

C.C. is taking a break, he says.  Maybe I'll support him and quit drinking at home.  Q sent this.  


It is true for all of us not on Wegovy.  But at least the fellow didn't gain any, so there is that.  I have a degree in zoology, so trust me--as male animals get older, they get fatter.  It is hormonal, I'd guess.  Look at Silverback gorillas.  They don't even drink or eat meat, but when they get old enough to be beaten by a younger gorilla, they have a belly.  

I'm an old Silverback.  

This is not how I imagined the post going today.  Sometimes, I just am not in charge of my own faculties.  I should go look at my horoscope and find out what autumn has in store.  

Nope.  

Here's an autumn song.  Just listen.  You need not look.  Maybe wait until tonight.  Snuggle up with a loved one or maybe just remember one.  Have your favorite drink on the couch.  It is a long song.  Loooong.  So settle in.  Don't be in a hurry.  The nights are getting longer, the daylight softer.  It is the quiet time.  



No comments:

Post a Comment