Monday, October 28, 2024

The Wrestlers

I don't have much time to write this morning.  It is a shit day which starts with a trip to the dentist.  After that, I will get double vaxed.  If I am still on my feet, I will make a trip to the gym.  But I am whacked right now.  I had only slept for five hours on Saturday night.  I was sleepy before bedtime on Sunday.  Still, I took a Tylenol PM before I went to bed at ten.  I didn't open my eyes until eight, and I am still groggy.  No time for reading the papers.  Just some coffee and a shower before I half unconsciously begin this hellish day.  

I am sure to feel badly tomorrow.  

I spent all day Sunday working on the wrestling pics.  They are difficult.  There was very little light and the photos are dark.  I have to work like a devil to bring them to life.  Each one is its own problem and takes me twenty minutes or so in postproduction work.  Selavy.  

Have you seen Aronofsky's "The Wrestler"?  Yea. . . this is like that.  The routines these wrestlers were performing were pretty tough--coming off the top rope, flips and pile drivers.  It is easy to get hurt.  They can't be making much money, if any.  They are not independently wealthy for sure.  I saw them after the match standing together talking about the evening's performance.  I didn't see them leave, but I'm betting they had shitty cars like mine.  Where do they live?  Certainly some are in apartments with roommates or living in trailer parks.  But on Saturday night, you know. . . they are in the limelight.  

There can be no other explanation.  None of them are going to be making it into the televised big leagues.  They gamble their bodies for a small crowd of people sitting on folding chairs in a metal warehouse on the outskirts of town.  

I have no idea what the people who pay to come see the show think.  Many of the sparse crowd (that makes little sense) wanted to talk to the performers.  

I want to go back and do more.  I have ideas.  

But now my idea is to get into the shower and get this thing done.  I am glum.  This is not the day one aspires to.  It is a day to suffer through in hopes of better ones.  

Wish me luck.  If you want.  

No comments:

Post a Comment