Tuesday, May 26, 2020

No Story



 I took this photo a long time ago.  I came across it going through some old files.  Why I am struggling with making pictures like this now is a mystery to me.  I think I've looked at too many photos of similar things made by other people now.  Maybe I'm trying too hard.  I don't know.

I made the image with one of the first ever good digital cameras.  By today's standards, they would be extremely low res and slow.  I made a lot of good photos, though, with the Olympus E-10 (4mp) and the Leica Digilux 2 (5mp).

Maybe it was the lower resolution that made the images appealing.

After looking at the scans of NYC from back in the oughts, I starting wishing to make some smeary black and white images again.  I pulled out my Leica R5 and snapped some photos around the house. Ooo, the click of the shutter and slap of the mirror felt nice.  Shooting Tri-X indoors, you get slow shutter speeds and a little camera shake.  I find the smear nice.  It relaxes me.  Focusing is manual, so even in good light, sometimes it is just a little off.  Again, I find it appealing.  New digital cameras are precise.  They are scientific tools.  A little less, I think, might be more.

Is that why I am obsessed with buying a medium format digital camera?  That's a joke.  Those things are crazily detailed.  But I want one.

I am very inconsistent.

Last night, rather than watch television, I pulled out a Robert Frank book, "Looking In."  It contains every contact sheet from his epic tour of America.  I wanted to look at those blurry, imprecise images.   I love looking at his contact sheets and deciding what I would have printed.  His exposures were mostly off, and there are many blurry images.  One looks and feels his pain at having just missed what could have been an epic shot.

I can only look at a few at a time, though, before I get overwhelmed.  I've yet to get through them all.

I wish I had a story, kids.  It rained all day yesterday.  I ate leftover pizza from dinner with my mother the night before for breakfast.  The rain slackened a bit, and I decided to go do a little workout and a bit of running in the park.  I came home wet and tired and took a long, hot shower.  I ate more pizza.  The rain continued.  I was cozy.  I put beans and pork loin chops into the pressure cooker and filled it with wine and spices.  The house soon smelled wonderfully of it,  Before my usual hour, I called my mother and begged off going over.  I was too comfortable, I said.  I didn't want to go out into the rain.  I poured a glass of wine and read essays by Wayne Koestenbaum, a book gifted to me over the weekend.  I found one that reminded me of C.C. and wanted him to read it.  Since it was an essay, I thought there might be a minimal chance that it was on the internet, and holy smokes, it was (link).  I sent it to him right away.  As the cool blue light falling through the windows grew dim,  the yellow incandescent lamplight prevailed.  I cooked some rice, poured more wine, and sat down to a lone but delicious meal.  Outside, dusk lingered.  The night stretched out before me like a puzzle.  The usual whiskey, bed still some hours away, the promise of some sweets sitting on the dining room table, these were my veiling of the void.  There is no story, only a quiet lyric, focused missed, slightly blurry.

I wait for the story's return.

2 comments:



  1. Age 5 - I was sent to piano lessons. My teacher was young - Donna - she lived in her parents house (at that time) a wonderful mid-century modern place - complete with white leather sofas and a white shag rug in the sunken living room. I never went past the living room but there was a whole family living there - I remember a younger - difficult teenage sister as a shadow with long curly hair complaining from her bedroom through the hall into the kitchen - of which I could only see a small corner the bright yellow wallpaper - a younger and athletic brother who was "cute" - I could hear the Mother - who would sometimes pop around the corner to say hello - she seemed to be always cooking. Donna's father was a handsome tall and tan man. He looked like a brunette Malibu Ken. I played there on a gorgeous baby grand. My father would drop me off and go drive around Montville to smoke his cigar. Picking me up promptly after the hour was over. And before I left, I would give Donna the wad of cash my father had given me - I can't remember how much we paid.

    Those little fingers - in the beginning - working on the scales over and over and over and over. Oh how exciting when you learned a "black key" note. I can still play a few of the pieces I learned. Donna loved John Denver. I played a shit load of that later on.

    Donna then moved to a music shop - in Pine Brook. Where it wasn't nearly as interesting. A dull beige room in the back of the store - owned by two brothers - one of which Donna eventually married - Dennis. He was v. hairy. He had black sort of Sonny (of Sonny and Cher) hair. And his brother was a twin. I actually went to the church to see her be married.

    At home - I played on the piano with my father's last name on it. It wasn't a grand piano - an upright but old - ivory keys - I was devastated when my mother sold it when she sold the house. I think she actually gave it away cause pianos are so hard to sell. I loved my metronome. I remember when I got one. It's true - what they say - you don't know how much you'll regret giving it up - not practicing - until it is gone. I'd love a piano. Someday.

    Oh. Where was I? I loved that essay - I will certainly steal from it.

    I have oodles of work to do. I have set the timer on box making to go off at 10:30 but I'm having great fun with Q's box. I don't know what he will think. But I'm having a good time. Which is nice - I hadn't done much hands on stuff other than cooking and gardening. I ordered a little pair of "detail" scissors. They are so quick and sassy.

    I had a v. bothersome night. I dreamed of making love over and over and over and over - no person - just the sensation - the wavy rocking hips. I woke up - about 10 x - tried everything but it kept creeping back. I blame your cat. and Warren Zevon. I've been listening to him on my drives. Over and Over as I do. I forgot how much I loved him.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5iwWQ9KB_U

    "Accidentally Like A Martyr"

    The phone don't ring
    And the sun refused to shine
    Never thought I'd have to pay so dearly
    For what was already mine
    For such a long, long time

    We made mad love
    Shadow love
    Random love
    And abandoned love
    Accidentally like a martyr
    The hurt gets worse and the heart gets harder

    The days slide by
    Should have done, should have done, we all sigh
    Never thought I'd ever be so lonely
    After such a long, long time
    Time out of mind

    We made mad love
    Shadow love
    Random love
    And abandoned love
    Accidentally like a martyr
    The hurt gets worse and the heart gets harder

    It's such a funny little song. I mean not funny but he makes it so. I miss him. You see Dylan was 79 yesterday.

    Okies. I hope to maintain some discipline today and get the office at least put away - and then I can worry about the interior design phase.

    It's a good shot. I especially like the pink and the very balanced proportions. As any Libra would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw Zevon in concert once in a smaller venue. He was very frantic and coked, but it made for an incredible show. Yea, he was fun.

      Delete