Monday, October 19, 2020

Purity Is for the Pure

  


I'm in my 37th hour of fasting.  I will probably break it after the 38th, though once you get this far, you feel as if you could go on forever.  Last night I wanted to eat.  It was mostly through habit and boredom though there was probably a drop in blood sugar levels, too.  This morning, that has probably stabilized.  I once fasted for three days, and as the toxins were released from my fat cells, I started to hallucinate.  Not the trippy kind where you hear colors or see trails, just subtle shifts in time and distance sort of like getting stoned.  I could reach that distance now, I feel, but I have another plan.  Still, it feels as if I should consider it as the first day is the hardest and it seems a shame to waste the effort.  In the Time of Covid, with nothing pressing me that needs doing, I feel I could go on forever.  

If you are anything like me, reading this will piss you off, make you resentful.  I hate reading about people's spiritual or bodily journeys.  I don't enjoy (nor truly trust) non-drinkers.  Vegans put me in mind of lepers, something to pity.  Holy men and their vows of (you pick) remind me of cripples.  Holiness, I figure, comes not through abstention but through a vital embracing of life.  I only enjoy Catholicism because it is so corrupt.  

So don't take my fasting as anything of the sort.  This is a necessity.  I am trying to recalibrate my health.  And as I've said, nobody has ever died of starvation.  Wait.  That is not what I said.  I'm getting a little goofy.  Maybe I should eat.  

In grad school, I took a particular liking of John Falstaff.  A jolly man in a fallen world, his Rabelasian approach to life had a peculiar charm.  Now, however, I focus more on his depiction in the plays after Hal becomes Henry.  The disappointment and bitterness that blankets him make him seem petty.  

I've never had any attraction to Hal/Henry, however.  None whatsoever.  I do prefer the jolly glutton to the high-hatted idealist.  

All my life, I've been attracted to colorful characters.  It has probably been my greatest flaw.  I should have idolized greater minds and purer men, but goddamnit, I've always loved the man with a hangover who came out and played his greatest game.  

I have to question that choice when I see Joe Namath hawking life insurance or whatever on the Old Folks Network.  Perhaps it could have worked out better for him some other way.  

But people get old and only wisdom can save them.  Look at Dr. Fauci.  Seventy-nine years old and a hero to all but QAnon.  Last night, I watched his interview on 60 Minutes.  He was eating raviolis and sausage and drinking a big glass of wine, and I thought, "There may be a little Falstaff in him."  Just a little, though.  Brando was like Falstaff, and I watched his pathetic decline.  Perhaps just flirting with Rabelais is enough.  

I read an article in the Times about Bruce Springsteen this morning.  Broadway play, new album.  Jesus.  I listened to the songs.  They were terrible.  There is a form of mawkishness that is like a disease among old rockers, I think.  No matter how much they talk about being present, they cannot let go of the past.  There is something terrible about being 65teen.  

Wait!  What?  What am I saying?  What have I been writing?  All I want to do is go back and redo everything.  Is that wrong?  Am I a mawkish idiot trapped in my own failures and oversights?  

Ha!  It can't be so.  I am a man who eschews food for days on end.  I am purer than thou.  Cast your gaze upon me with envy.    

Perhaps I have a ways to go before I achieve clarity.  

7 comments:

  1. If you want clarity, you need to go clear.

    Scientology can help you, man. No need to suffer. Just turn over all your worldly possessions and wealth.

    “Going Clear”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLLKsMxPqn0

    I have neve fasted deliberately. Having done it involuntarily in the 1970s it has no appeal to me, but if it recalibrates your health that is great.

    Hal/Henry is a horrible character. I understand that Shakespeare had to be a boot-licking royalist and legitimize the barbaric Tudor throne to keep his head attached to his shoulders, but goddamn is Henry awful. He is unbelievably converted from his profligate youth and becomes a warrior prince with a taste for xenophobia, treachery, and double-dealing. The way that he turns on his former partner Falstaff is vicious. To believe in Henry/Hal is to believe that the inept pig-fucker that was young Donald Trump became the heroic statesman and champion of the people that his followers believe him to believe.

    If Joyce is correct, and Hamlet is his father’s ghost then Henry is Falstaff’s shadow, a two dimensional silhouette of a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried Scientology. They said I didn't have enough money to get very far.

      Delete


  2. Re-do it starting Now. There is no better time than the Present. Someone famous said that. I haven't a clue.

    One of the best productions of "Merry Wives" I saw was at the Barnstable High School. The Shakespeare Club set it in the 1950's - sort of "I Love Lucy" like.

    Congratulations on your fasting. I am not bothered by reading spiritual or whatever journeys.

    Isn't the best of art and literature about journeys?

    Are people really? Pissed off by that shit?

    The racks of Barnes & Noble are stuffed to the gills with books on those subjects. I know, I recently took a trip there. To purchase my mother a new coloring book - and to sniff around.

    It's really too overwhelming for me - too many choices and the prices quite high.

    Thankfully, I have a few dear friends who send me new books from time to time. I scour the second hand stores for most of my reads - as per.

    I have enough stuff to read to make me hallucinate. But is there really ever enough? To read?

    I realize - I sort of lack a "pissed off gene." Unless it is a world-wide reason to be pissed off. I'm my father in that regard. "Don't sweat the small stuff" and all. It isn't necessarily a good trait - of course - everything in moderation. But we are who we are unless we change ourselves.

    And so much is small - that people get pissed about. I was reminded of that during the recent Experiment in the Work Force episode of my life.

    I like the photo. Tons actually. It feels confusing and beautiful all at the same time. It feels like the world. Or U. or Me. Or c.c. or my friend Lisa who told me I should write a book this morning - any of the people we - us - individuals take in to our little kooky worlds - without masks.

    Prolly I have more to say but I just picked my last bucket of Roma tomatoes and I'm going to make Scott Conant's simple sauce - I'm going to harvest the rest of the basil as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always felt that there is nothing that can't be done tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Oh. . . and thank you for the picture compliment. Much appreciated.

      Delete


  3. I've been a little anxious about listening to the new Springsteen. I have a life long (well I guess nearly) relationship with the man.

    I've wept every time I have seen him since the beginning of time - usually when he first steps on the stage and then sometime during his sets. I mean, his characters ran the same Jersey shore roads I grew up running myself. Or at least he made it feel like we were.

    Characters. I've always felt a good writer does that from time to time. Makes you recognize yourself - in their words. Whether it was seeing your dream, coming to task with yourself - or trying to understand the world and other humans in which we share our floating marble.

    I didn't read the NY Times article. This morning I read the National Review - and this quote resonated with me:

    Springsteen has nothing left to prove but a few things left to say.

    This “burning need to communicate,” he says, is “there when I wake every morning. It walks alongside me throughout the day.” What drives it? “Is it loneliness, ambition, hunger, ego, desire, a need to be felt and heard, recognized? All of the above.”



    T. used to abhor mawkishness or really sentimentality in poems. I, of course, used to try to defend people and their need to express (of which I wasn't such a good friend to you when I started to take on Emily's letters - seeing my own unabashed sentimentality in them perhaps and honestly - learned something about myself there).

    Why are the songs horrible? Musically? or Lyrically?

    Bruce suffers from depression. Pretty bad according to his autobiography. I think a depression infects many creatives.

    Perhaps his - this latest effort - which appears to be about mortality, is a way for him to attempt to come to terms. I say attempt because it is a rare person who can order - with words - the notion that we are "lucky to be alive, lucky to be breathing in this world of beauty, horror and hope."

    Without listening, and with some self-reflection - I am going to give him a pass. Going to let him sing about whatever it is he wants to sing about.

    For if his music - words - sounds offer even just one person - even just himself - a balm to surviving the "beauty, horror hope" - than it was worth putting it down.

    I read a quote by James Baldwin recently:

    “History is not the past,” stated Baldwin, “It is the present. We carry our history with us. We are our history."

    I think you may be able to substitute the word "past" for "history." To some extent.


    c.c. - as usual - wonderful notes on Mr. Shakespeare's characters.


    One last thing:

    Fucking people - will you please listen to the scientists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Springsteen seems to have a burning desire to say something. . . again. He is like an old man who repeats himself because he wasn't sure you were listening to him.

      Is Scientology the same as science?

      Delete