Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Money Will. . . Uh. . . .

Stanko Abadzic

Money will make you happy.  That's what they say. . . now  (link).  Sort of.  It gives you access to more things that can make you happy, anyway.  

Oops.  Now they tell me.  I think I can safely say that it has made my exes happy.  They all married "up."  I mean, comparatively. . . you know. . . after me.  Except the one who had money.  She never married at all. 

"Money will never make you happy, and happy will never make you money."

This is the sarcastic wisdom of Groucho Marx.  I should have been made suspicious by his last name.  But you know, being brought up in the revolution and all. . . . 

You know what you need when you get old?  Money.  And lots of it.  

This is what J.D. Vance should have said rather than attack the Cat People.  Why, my friends with a lot of money are a lot happier than my friends with not so much money.  Though, I'd have to guess, Vance is not a good indicator on this one.  Nor Trump.  They are angry people. Hmm.  I'll have to reconsider this when I wake up.  

Yea. . . I'm still asleep.  Been up since four, but I don't think I am awake yet.  This has all been automatic writing.  I don't recall yesterday except for this.  

I watched this after dinner.  It made me very sad.  After this, I watched more of The Soft White Underbelly series (link) (link) (link) (link) (link).  That fellow, I think, has proven himself to be an egomaniacal fool.  I don't necessarily recommend those links.  The stupidity displayed in them can make you mad.  But taken together, all of them. . . I've known "these people."  J.D. Vance's family, if you will.  As strong a case against parenthood as I've seen.  And Vance, of course, wasn't harmed by his upbringing. . . no, ma'm, no sir.  He's just as fit as a fucking fiddle.  

I get it, though, the preening self admiration of parents whose kids haven't yet gone off the tracks.  And they probably won't.  I know you, and you are decent people. . . by and large, even those of you who have put the sins of the past behind you, locked them in a drawer you rarely visit any longer.  I understand that having children can move you along the scale of selflessness if you are any good as a person at all.  Either that, or your selfishness just enlarges to include your family.  Think on that if you will.  

"But I always give money to the homeless!"

Sure.  You should stop that.  Look what it has done to poor Sije, 34 years old and not likely to make it to forty I'd say if you keep feeding her money to support her habit.  I don't know if you will watch the full thirty-seven minute interview, but if you make it to the end, you will see.  Dopesick.  

This was no better than yesterday's post.  I have a bunch of music to share, but I can't use any of it with content like this.  Vance makes me angry.  Sije makes me sad.  The Soft White Underbelly leaves me without much hope.  Mother Teresa served the sick and the poor, but she was known to be a wicked woman to the nuns she oversaw.  After becoming a missionary at an early age, she never saw her mother or sister again.  Christopher Hitchens had many things to say about her (link).  

That's about enough links for today.  That should hold you over for a good while.  If I were any good, I would give you a writing assignment covering the material in them.  But I know that most of you are only auditing this course, so. .  . use them at your leisure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment