Friday, October 4, 2024

Those Women

My midwest friend is in New Mexico.  She is staying at the Los Poblanos, a lavender farm/boutique hotel/spa/. . . .  She is staying there, she says, because I told her about it.  Long ago, in the way back, I picked up a hitchhiking hippie chick in New Mexico, and we had quite a time.  

She was a hoot.  First we stayed at an old asylum for the insane, the Parq Central, which is now, supposedly, haunted.  It was a fine hotel with a great rooftop bar and a great view of Albuquerque.  From there we went to Santa Fe.  I had been there in 2014 and had fallen head over heels for the place.  I was at a printing workshop at the time, and I had come back for another with the hippie.  I put her up in a great and wonderful cheap vagabond motel near the interstate with wi-fi and a kitchen that overlooked the parking lot leading to a shopping plaza where Albertsons was the anchor store.  Each morning I would get up and cross the parking lot to get us coffee and muffins before I headed off to my workshop.  I don't know how she spent her day, but at night, we went into town and had a time.  

When the workshop was over, we went to Taos.  She took me to stay in The Hobbit House, the first and most famous Earthship in New Mexico (link).  She was enamored by it, though at night she swore there were faces looking down at us through the window above the bed.  I'll admit, New Mexico IS a spooky kind of spiritual place.  We visited some of the most famous pioneers of western womanhood sites, and there are many (link).  We visited the estates of Georgia O'Keefe, Mabel Dodge Luhan, Millicent Rogers and a hundred other places as well.  

She came back with me to Albuquerque where we stayed in the newly refurbished lavender farm.  The entire time was magical.  The hippie chick wanted to buy a place there and simply live.  I should have listened to her, for now, ten years or so later, real estate prices have gone through the roof.  It's like everything, though.  I should have bought Apple stock at fifty cents a share. 

New Mexico won't be a place for hippies much longer.  

But my gosh. . . we had a most memorable time.  I wonder if she ever bought a place there.  

My friend from the midwest is there now and is in love.  Maybe one day I'll return.  

So. . . I was sick all day yesterday and didn't move out of the house.  I didn't eat until a light dinner.  And when night fell, I turned on the television.  I didn't want anything heavy, so I watched this. 

Hate me if you will.  As I've told you, I missed a decade or two.  What I knew of Zooey Deschanel was only due to Ili.  I had never watched "Elf" until one Christmas with her.  And it was with her that I heard "A Hipster Christmas" playing at an Irish Pub and became familiar with She and Him and their very good Christmas album.  Beyond that, though, I knew nothing except that Ili HATED Deshcanel.  For what reason, I never knew.  But yea. . . not her favorite.  

So when I watched this last night, I kinda caught up on a couple decades of stuff I had been missing.  And I was charmed.  Now here's the thing, though, which I should keep to myself for if they ever heard me say this, it would piss off both Ili and Sky. . . but EVEYTHING about those interviews is what I hear and see when I'm talking to Sky.  

Cringe.  Don't hit me.  I can't help it.  

All three of them are approximately the same age.  I don't know.  It is just a different way of being, I guess.  But holy smokes, those clips and a little whiskey and I swear I was feeling better than I had for the entire day.  

¡Ay, caramba!

I am sure the few of you who are reading this are going, "I knew he was an idiot, but. . . ."  All I can say is don't be a hater.  The heart wants what the heart wants.  If Zooey wanted to come over, I'd just say, "The door's unlocked."  That's me.  

I have another big confession.  After I posted yesterday's song from YouTube, I just let it keep playing, and YouTube played Diana Krall for the rest of the day.  I never got up to change it.  It was an entire day of her albums and concerts.  But she is, you know, married to Elvis Costello--of whose music I was never much of a fan, but who is considered by hipsters as important.  So. . . I don't know.  Maybe I'm ready to move to a home.  

As long as it is in New Mexico.  



Hey--have I ever posted that "Temptation" cover here for you?

😂

O.K.  Maybe something "western."  Those women from the east who came to New Mexico were really fantastic.  



No comments:

Post a Comment